LECA balls, clay pebbles or also referred to as Hydroton grow rocks, are one of the most helpful and versatile growing media to any traditional and hydroponic grower.
While the clay balls can be used on its own for growing plants, it can also be mixed with soil and other growing media.
Benefits of using LECA:
- Reusable & Environment Friendly
- Aeration – Unlike soil that compacts and reduces available oxygen over time, hydroton retains its shape and allows for continuous oxygen exchange, keeping your plant roots healthy.
- PH Neutral – In gardening, it is important to have a growing medium that isn’t too acidic or basic. This material is a pH neutral product, so you won’t have to worry about any nutrient lockup or plant health issues due to unstable pH.
- Sterile – It is produced in large rolling kilns that ‘bake’ it into its final shape. Since high temperatures are used, hydroton comes to the gardener as a sterile product. This is highly beneficial because you don’t want to introduce disease and harmful bacteria into your garden.
- Water Retention & Drainage – This material is filled with tiny pores, much like a ‘micro sponge’. Because of this, it holds the perfect amount of water and drains any excess to prevent overwatering.